(This article appeared in the May,2011 issue of A Healthy You)
A little bit actually goes a long way. You only need about 1/2 cup of legumes for each batch.
- Place 1/2 cup of legumes (lentils, mung beans, garbanzos, etc…) in a quart jar. (I use mason jars. I LOVE Mason Jars!)
- Cover with at least 2 cups of pure water.
- Cover the top of the jar with a cheesecloth, clean thin washcloth, or a mesh and secure (you can use rubber bands or the mason jar cap without the lid).
- Place in a warm location without direct sunlight.
- Soak overnight (for approximately 12 hours).
- Drain. You will need to rinse and drain them at least 2-3 times per day.
- When you see sprouts that are at least 1/4-1/2″ long, they are ready.
- Rinse them well and drain once again.
You can place the sprouts in the same mason jar, a zip-lock bag, or any other jar of your choosing and store them in the refrigerator. (I cover the sprouts with a paper towel to maintain freshness).
Enjoy them in salads, stir-fries, sandwiches, etc…