(Ingredient list obtained from Chef Stevie Nussbaum)
Makes 12 servings
1 1/2 Pounds acorn squash, Halved
1 1/2 Pounds butternut squash, Halved
1 Pound spaghetti squash, Halved
1 whole Onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
4 Cups Vegetable Stock
1/2 cup Cooking Sherry
1 cup Water
1/4 cup Brown Sugar*
Salt & Pepper to taste
*Brown Sugar substitute: 1:1 mixture of turbinado or organic cane sugar sugar mixed with molasses
- In a blender, puree the roasted squash and the caramelized onions.
- Puree (in batches) the squash and broth in a food processor or blender.
- Transfer the squash puree to a large saucepan or crock pot.
- Stir the cooking sherry into the puree
- Heat over medium heat and season with salt & pepper.
Preheat oven to 400º F
Rub the cut side of the squash with a little bit of olive oil
Sprinkle it with salt & pepper (to taste)
Invert onto an oven-safe baking dish*
Roast until tender (approximately 35-45 minutes)
Once cooled, scoop the flesh out of the shell and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the garlic, nutmeg, and brown sugar. When the onion is translucent and golden, remove from the stove and allow to cool.
*you can also roast it cut side up in an oven safe baking dish that contains approx. 1/2 inch of water.